Canned fruits are used in the making of many baked goods because they add a touch of flavour that is distinct from other types of fruit. Syrup is made by dissolving sugar in water and letting it boil until it reduces to reach the right consistency.
In order to make fruits in syrup, the most common proportion is double the amount of water to sugar, but each baker uses his or her own measurements. A higher proportion of sugar leads to a denser syrup, therefore, the professional chef will make syrup which is sweeter or less so depending on the dessert which will carry the fruit in syrup.
One factor to bear in mind is the natural level of sugar that fruit has, before adding them to syrup. For example, grapes, figs, peaches and apricots tend to contain an elevated level of natural sugar, therefore it is important to control the amount of sugar used in making the syrup so as not to make the final product too sweet.
How are fruits in syrup made?
- Choose top quality fruit, not too ripe and not bruised in any way.
- Wash the fruit well and remove the stone or pips where necessary.
- Sterilize the jars where the fruit in syrup is going to be stored.
- Pour 1 litre of water and 500g of sugar into a pan (the proportions can vary).
- Stir well so that the sugar is dissolved and allow the water to boil until the sugar is transparent.
- Place the fruits in a glass jar and cover with syrup.
- Put the lid on and turn the jar upside down for a few minutes.
- Cover the closed jar in water and boil for 5 minutes in order to vacuum seal it.
What are the most common fruits in syrup?
Fruits in syrup have a characteristic texture and flavour which makes them popular with professional bakers in their cakes, tarts, ice creams, meringues, biscuits and pastries, among others. The most popular canned fruits are:
- Peach or pineapple in syrup: these are often served as a dessert in themselves, with whipped cream or some other side, but they can also be chopped and used as a filling for layer cakes or to add taste or colour in decorating sweet goods.
- Apples in syrup are used to make apple pies and apple flan, as well as being used as a filling in layer cakes or as a side dish served with sweet puff pastries. Horeca (hotels, restaurants and cafés) establishments offer canned apples in their breakfasts and also use them in many of their recipes.
- Cherries in syrup: these are often used in baking and tarts because of their strong colour and characteristic taste. Furthermore, they are enjoyed in Horeca establishments in ice creams, cocktails or as a dessert in their buffets.
- Oranges in syrup: these are used as a frill in the making of cakes and sweets such as the Roscón de Reyes at Christmas time. They are also used to decorate cakes, desserts and tarts. Furthermore, as it is an acidic fruit, it combines well with chocolate and thus eating canned oranges with chocolate turns out to be a truly sensational pleasure.
- Canned oranges with chocolate: this is a very easy dessert to make. The canned oranges are drained properly and baked in the oven at a low temperature until they are thoroughly dried. Afterwards, they are covered in melted chocolate or, if the aim is to have shiny and crunchy chocolate, the melted chocolate must be tempered before adding the oranges. This process refers to cooling the melted chocolate on a cold surface such as marble and then placing the slices of orange. Afterwards they are left to set and can be eaten. The end result is very tasty indeed.
Why choose Lazaya fruits?
Lazaya offers the best quality canned fruit on the market to use in baking or to eat on their own. We offer a wide variety from traditional fruits in syrup such as peaches, to cherries in syrup, or apples or oranges in syrup. However, we also offer other fruits in syrup that are less commonly found in desserts, such as canned strawberries, kiwis or blackberries.
The intense colour and flavour of these fruits mean that they are used in all types of recipes and are becoming favourites with consumers. This is why professional bakers prefer to choose top quality products in their baked goods, trusting in a brand that has a long history in the field and owns orchards from where they control the process from beginning to end.
Furthermore, Lazaya uses containers that are sturdy and easy to use, so that the fruit can be removed from the tin ready to use. It is no coincidence that sector leaders appreciate our wide variety of canned fruit and their versatility when used in a multitude of recipes. Do not hesitate to contact us to resolve any doubt or to try first-hand some of our products.