Candied vegetables are a new raw material used by chefs and pastry bakers when making their creations. Lazaya recently launched a line of candied vegetables in a bold step towards innovation without losing sight of their main distinctions: quality and versatility. The main aim is to ease the workload of professionals and at the same time surprise clients with new recipes that include candied vegetables and are full of different textures and flavours.
Candied vegetables add an interesting, unforgettable twist to any dish that includes them.We asked an expert chef to try this new range of Lazaya products and give us ideas of recipes using candied vegetables that you can try in your hotel, restaurant or catering business.
Using Lazaya’s candied vegetables in recipes
Here are some great examples of the many ways in which our new products – candied vegetables – can be used in recipes. We are sure that your clients will want to know all the preparation secrets.
1- Foie-gras truffles with cooking apples and candied olives
This exquisite starter includes candied olives as one of its ingredients. This is how they are made:
- Foie-gras from duck liver
- 1 cooking apple
- Double cream
- Salt & pepper
- Candied olives
- Whip the foie-gras at room temperature.
- Mix the foie-gras with peeled & salted chopped apple
- Add a small amount of double cream, salt and pepper so that the mixture blends
- Separate the mixture into small balls and leave them to set
- Grind the candied olives
- Roll the balls in the ground candied olives until they are covered, manually moulding them into irregular truffle shapes
- Serve as a starter or aperitif
2- Oriental salad with candied onion
This delicious salad contains several ingredients including candied onion which gives it extra flavour and freshness.
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- Chinese noodles
- Peeled prawns
- Olive oil
- White vinegar
- Teriyaki sauce
- Candied onion
- Cut the lettuce in thin slices and place them in cold water.
- Boil the noodles together with the peeled prawns
- Make a vinaigrette sauce with teriyaki, oil and vinegar.
- Make a salad with lettuce, noodles, prawns and candied onion and then dress with the vinaigrette.
3- Carrot and smoked salmon fried dumplings
Candied carrot is known for being a versatile ingredient that allows chefs a lot of leeway when making their dishes. In this case, our expert chef has used cubed candied carrot to make this delicious side dish.
- diced smoked salmon
- Cubed candied carrot
- Sieved flour
- Chopped corriander
- Boil some water with salt and butter
- When it boils add the sieved flour and stir well
- Add the eggs, one by one
- Add the cubed candied carrot and diced smoked salmon.
- Shape into dumplings and deep fry
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander over the fried dumplings
4- Red tuna and ginger tartare
Candied ginger provides a unique aroma and taste to any dish and it is becoming increasingly valued by top chefs. Here it is mixed with tuna fish and exotic fruit and vegetables.
- Raw tuna fish steak
- candied ginger
- Softened onion
- Soy sauce, mustard, olive oil and salt
- Chop the tuna fish steak into small cubes
- Mix the tuna fish with mango, avocado, candied ginger, onion and wasabi.
- Add olive oil, salt, mustard and soy sauce.
- Spread on toast and serve
5- Duck and aubergine individual pies.
Candied aubergine has a very tasty and spongy texture that gives an added boost to any dish. Here it works well as an extra ingredient in these pasties.
- Duck confit
- Candied aubergines
- Demi-glace sauce, salt and pepper
- Bone the duck and cut in thin strips together with the candied aubergine
- Gently fry the onion and when it is browned mix it with the duck and aubergine
- Add flour, salt, pepper and a small amount of demi-glace sauce.
- Leave to cool.
- Use it as a pie filling
- Fry the pasties and serve
6- Pan fried salty-and-sweet autumn vegetables
This mixed vegetable dish can be made with all types of vegetables and candied vegetables such a candied baby carrots or candied onion which provide unique flavours.
- Green esparragus
- Green beans
- Manzanilla sherry
- Serrano ham shavings
- Candied onion
- Candied baby carrots
- Truffle slices
- Pan fry all the vegetables in olive oil with garlic and ham shavings
- Add a splash of sherry
- Add the truffle slices once the vegetables are cooked.
- Ready to serve
If you opt for using candied vegetables in your recipes, Lazaya offers top quality products in different formats that help the lives of professional chefs. Our range includes candied olives, carrots, aubergines, onion and ginger, each one ready to help you make the best dishes for your clients. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or queries.