Candied orange is an ingredient that is increasingly used in the kitchens of the best chefs and pastry chefs in Horeca establishments. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is not a complement that is only used to decorate cakes and tarts; It is also applied in savory dishes and in typical desserts that anyone has ever tried in their life.
In this post we are going to see typical desserts that use candied orange as the main ingredient or as an accompaniment that we can taste in all kinds of Horeca establishments.
Use of candied orange in confectionery
It’s an ingredient that, due to its sweetness and its slightly bitter touch, is widely used in confectionery to enhance the flavor, texture and color of desserts. Orange combines very well with some of the most used ingredients in confectionery, which is why professionals use it continuously for their preparations, creating increasingly innovative desserts with great success. These are some of the ingredients with which combines well:
It’s a classic combination in numerous desserts. Orange pieces can be added to biscuits, cookies, brownies, chocolates, ice cream, etc. Orange strips or slices can also be used to garnish chocolate cakes.
Ground or chopped almonds can be used to mix with the orange. They are always a perfect combination, especially in cakes, tarts, tartlets or cupcakes and in creations such as chocolate macarons, coconut cupcakes with raspberries or strawberry and almond tart, among others.
The mild flavor of vanilla combines perfectly with the powerful flavor of orange, especially in ice creams, waffles, muffins, cookies, etc. Vanilla extract can also be used in preparations that contain orange to enhance its flavor.
Dried fruits, such as raisins or prunes, can be a good option to combine with orange. You can use them in cakes, biscuits, muffins, apple rolls, flan, pudding, etc.
Some spices, such as cinnamon, cloves or ginger, can add a touch of flavor and aroma to your preparations with orange, both in pastries and in savory dishes.
Typical desserts with candied oranges
Professionals use candied orange to make numerous desserts and pastry products, given its versatility, intense color, unmistakable flavor and texture. We are going to see the typical desserts with candied orange that we can savor in restaurants, hotels and catering establishments:
- Pudding with candied orange: This sweet and creamy dessert includes among its main ingredients orange slices or pieces. Candied orange strips can also be used to flavor the milk that we are going to use to make the dessert.
- Candied orange cake: It is a cake that, in addition to the orange, includes an orange glaze to give it a very characteristic flavor.
- Tarte Tatin: an upside-down cake with candied orange slices and caramel is a sure hit. We can also add candied ginger and other citrus fruits such as grapefruit or lemon.
- Sorbet: This fresh and fruity sorbet, ideal for spring and summer, contains pieces of candied oranges that give it freshness and lots of vitamins.
- Candied orange roll: It is a delicious rolled cake with a filling of candied oranges and pastry cream.
- Brownie: the brownie goes perfectly with bits of candied orange, along with an orange glaze. You can also add pieces of nuts and chocolate.
- Panettone: This classic Italian dessert is not only eaten at Christmas, and is gaining more and more fans thanks to its pieces of candied oranges and raisins.
- Tiramisu: Tiramisu is much creamier and more delicious if we add a few bits of candied orange or slices on top.
- Panna Cotta: It is a typical Italian dessert from the region of Piamonte that increases its quality if we decorate it with some slices of oranges.
- Cookies: the cookies can gain in flavor if we add a few pieces of candied orange together with an orange glaze.
- Flan: the candied orange is the perfect complement to the creaminess of the caramelized flan. You can also pour an orange sauce on top.
- Catalan cream: A traditional Catalan cream increases its quality with pieces of candied oranges on top.
- Mousse: a light and fluffy mousse has a much more intense flavor when accompanied by a delicious frosting and some candied oranges.
Lazaya Preserved Fruits provides professionals with quality candied orange slices and strips available throughout the year. In addition, it is perfectly preserved at room temperature and can last between 12 and 60 months depending on the conditions of the place. For a professional it is very important to always have this ingredient available for their preparations and also to be able to choose the type of packaging according to their needs, for example, cardboard, tin or plastic.
Our extensive experience in the sector and the quality of our products are the best guarantee for chefs and pastry chefs who want to make typical desserts with candied oranges. Do not hesitate to contact usfor any questions and queries, we will be happy to help you.